First, let me apologize for yesterday's post. Looking back, I was pretty upset and used really poor grammar. Sorry about the misspellings too. Now onto today's post.
I remember getting projects and thinking 'this is way too much work for one stupid grade' or 'she (my teacher) just wants to give us busy work and grade something that takes no thinking.' Basically I was a high school student. Now, I still think this is too much work but for a different reason... GRADING. I spent 30 minutes grading one student's brochure on being forensic chemist as a career. I graded it 5 different times before I finally settled on an 80 something. I'm just a poor grader when it comes to projects. I don't want to give a bad grade because honestly it is a lot of work but half of them seem to put no work into it. It goes against my nature to look at something creative and say it's not good enough. Yes there were a few brochures that I had no problem grading as a 45 but mostly I just tortured myself. Ugh! I remember why I chose this career, helping someone move forward and maybe even alter their life, yet each day I question myself. Maybe it's a good thing... or maybe I should re-think grad school.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who felt that way. I wrestled with those exact same feelings last year when I had kids do projects and I graded several of them multiple times before deciding on a final grade. It was time consuming, nerve racking(sp?), and the end results were not what I had hoped for. I hate projects! But they were good for the kids, almost every single one of them took something away from it.
ReplyDeleteOther than that I hope its getting better! :)
I think it is natural to have doubts when entering into something new especially when it is a decision as big as choosing a career. I haven't even graduated with my degree yet and I am constantly doubting whether I am going to be any good at what I think I want to do. What I am trying to get at is don't over think it. Do what feels right. If you feel like you are supposed to be doing this than do it. Do what you love, life is too short not to.
ReplyDelete